Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's Election Day! Go Vote - it's Not too Late!

Today is finally the election we've all been waiting for! I voted this afternoon at 1:30 and didn't have to wait in line at all! The pollsters said they'd been really busy earlier in the day & expected to be busy again whis afternoon/evening when people get off work.

This morning there were over 100 people waiting in line for them to open!! That was at 6am. They'll be open til 8 tonight which is a little later than usual.

Here in Michigan we still vote using paper & darkening in an oval (like the old achievement tests were done). When I moved here I was used to having voting machines where you just flip levers, so this took some getting used to. At first this didn't seem "official" enough - just paper and #2 pencil - but now I'm used to it.

Today I actually felt a bit of a thrill as I darkened in the ovals for President and for the yes/no question we had to answer regarding stem cell research. I felt so patriotic! I'm not sure why it hit me that way because I vote at every election so it wasn't anything new to me. Still, it was thrilling and I liked that! I felt like this year my vote really mattered!

I will be so interested in the election reports as they start coming in this evening! This is one election that IMHO hasn't been "cut and dried". I honestly don't know who will win. Very cool! :-)

No comments: