Saturday, May 26, 2007

Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout!

My sister is taking her troop to Washington, DC in a couple of weeks to a nation-wide "Girl Scout Singalong". There will be girls there from all over the country, & the tradition is to take something to swap with girls you meet (patches or whatever).

My sister is very creative (runs in the family LOL). She lives in the city where the camoflauge fabric is made for our military troops. She's making a patch out of that and red, white, & blue ribbon for the girls to use as their swap.

I got to help by making tags to be attached to each patch. The cool thing about it is that I live about 16 hours drive from her, but I'm still getting involved! :-) I downloaded the official GS logo from the internet and used it at the top of the tag. I then typed the explanation of how the fabric relates to my sister's troop's town, and included a request from her that as she pins on the swap patch, each scout pray for our troops in Iraq. Mailed them yesterday, & the P.O. guy assured me that they'll get there Tuesday.

It was so much fun to be doing something (even in a small way) related to scouting again! I was a Brownie and a Junior Girl Scout when I was a child, and as an adult I was a Brownie and G.S. leader.

Oh, and did I mention... I made some TINY little tags (identical to the ones for the scouts but only someone of Girl Scout age could read them without reading glasses!) in case my niece wants to attach them to patches for her friends' American Girl dolls. (Some of them are very much into those.) I also made a patch myself for her doll -- not out of camo since I don't have any of that, but instead out of a sweet fairy print. I hope she likes it as much as I did! :-)

No comments: